Monday, November 5, 2012

Savory Quiche - Grain free, Gluten Free

On the weekend, I am always in the mood for something a little more extravagant then a fried egg and a glass of milk. 
However, Kyle always wants eggs, and bacon :) Usually I will stick to waffles or pancakes (using both my whey powder recipes). However on Sunday, I wasn't in the mood for carbs.
I woke up a bit early so I had some extra time. I was having some fond memories of a hot warm quiche coming out of the oven as I sipped on my coffee and watched the snow pile up on the windows. Mmmm quiche. You know those little mini tarts that are served at parties? Besides those parties and Home Economics, I never really made them. 
I was excited to try something new without adding a full carb load onto my day. 
 I wasn't sure exactly what crust I was wanting to try. traditionally a wheat pie crust would be used, or a store bought frozen tart shell.
I was thinking about how I didn't really feel like making my FABULOUS pie crust this early am. So I went with a herb almond flour crust. 
This crust was very flavorful and delicious. The only downfall I could say is it doesn't hold together as well hot fresh out of the oven versus when it's cooled down or eaten cold. 
You can cut it and it holds together, don't get me wrong, but it does crumble.
 I think this recipe turned out delicious, but it did take longer then the average breakfast. To pick up the pace I would recommend making the crust the night before and refrigerate. Then simply mix up your quiche, pour it in and bake. If you want you could switch out this crust for my pie crust or you can simply let the quiche cool for 15-20 min or eat cold with a salad at lunch time.
The best part about a quiche is you can really use up a bunch of vegetable that are just hanging out in your fridge. I used our last garden tomato on the top of this one!
For the most part, the vegetables will float so you can be creative with the colors of what you throw in. 
When I was making the crust I was really just throwing in a bunch of deliciousness into a bowl and tossing it together. I have made this twice now. Same crust different veggies. Perfect every time.

The crust is a press in. You will need to use your hands and press it in. It's your choice if you want to go up the side of the pie plate or not. You can do a thicker crust just on the bottom or a thin one up the sides as well.
I love the crispy savory texture of the crust so I always put it up the sides so every bite is delicious. Feel free to use any other spices or herbs you deem fit in the same ratio. You can also double the recipe for a lasagna pan size casserole, versus a quiche. This fed us most of the week for breakfast. Just fry a crisp piece of bacon and served the quiche hot from the toaster oven with coffee.

Savory Herb Quiche - Grain free, Gluten free

For the Crust:

In a small saute pan:
Brown 1/2 C diced red onion with 1T butter until tender and soft. Set aside.

In a small mixing bowl:
1 1/2 C blanched almond flour

2 T chopped fresh Parsley
1 T dried italian herbs or 2tsp each dried oregano and basil
1/4 t Herbamere, sesame sea salt blend, sea salt, or kelp seasoning
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
dash smoked paprika

Stir together. Add in the sauteed onions. 

Melt 1/3 C coconut oil, or butter and pour into mixing bowl. Toss ingredients together until wet and crumbly. Scoop the crust into a greased pie plate and press with hands on the bottom and up the sides. Approx. 1/4 inch thick. 
Place in the refrigerator until firm. 10-15 min.

For the Quiche:

In a large mixing bowl:

1/2 C diced baby spinach or brocolli
1/4 C chopped red pepper or mushrooms
4 pc bacon cooked and crumbled or 1/4 C diced ham
1/4 C cream cheese, goat cheese, or grated cheese of choice
1/4 C heavy cream, half and half, or coconut milk
5 lrg Organic eggs
1 T thyme

Dash cayenne pepper
1/4 t smoked paprika
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t black pepper
1/8 t Herbamere, or sea salt

Mix very well until combined. Pour into the firm and cool crust. On the top place
1 tomato cut into 8 wedges.
Bake in the oven at 400 for 35-40 minutes. Quiche will puff up in the oven and fall once removed. Quiche is cooked when the center is firm and not wiggly. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi there
    We are a three tier household - all eating different versions! I am the grain free one, two are mostly gluten free, and the other finds the concept of giving up wheat something of a nightmare (he is probably the one who would benefit most off wheat!). A-n-y-w-a-y, I made a double batch of this last night and everyone LOVED it and asked if I could make it again. So your recipe made the family recipe book! The only change I made was reducing the amount of coconut oil. Scrumptious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it!

      I will always be posting more recipes! I was so nice to hear about your household and what you are doing, good luck.

      Delete