Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cashew Frosting, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Sugar Free, Paleo

I think my favorite thing above all to make is cupcakes. Not because I have books and books on different kinds, and they are super simple. You could bring cupcakes to every event you go to for 10 years and never bring the same kind! 
I am going to a Birthday this weekend, and I of course am bringing the cake!!! Not just because I love cake, and it's fun to make, but because then I can eat it and so can everyone else without even knowing the difference. 
I get stupid disappointed when I go somewhere and the gorgeous chocolate cake is made from crappy GMO wheat flour.. bleh.. What the hell!? Didn't anyone know I would be there and expect that I could eat the cake? 
Since are lifestyle has changed I have been using such different ingredients all the time it has opened my eyes broadly towards alternative ingredients. 
Like who says butter cream has to be made from dairy butter? Or who says you need milk for the base? Why cornstarch? 
You know a lot of people still don't know that icing sugar is paired with cornstarch in the bag? I think one of the funniest moments in my life is when I found out that brown sugar is still WHITE cane sugar, it's just smothered in molasses. Molasses is just a sugary residue leftover from manufacturing sugar! Sugar on top of sugar, HA who would have thunk?
Not that I have anything against sugar, I just never knew. It's not like I went out of my way to discover it. I mean if you already have white sugar why make it brown? Why make cheese orange?!?!? Why does Coca-Cola need caramel color!?!? Oh so many questions...
SO, anyways, when I heard told that a chocolate cake with a vanilla topping was so called desired, I was so excited!!
Chocolate cake, easy peasy. Vanilla, bah so many options. THEN I got the "dairy free" notice. Okay, no biggie. I know how to do it, but I have never actually done it, probably because I have just not had the desire to all of a sudden make dairy free frosting. I decided to go with a vegan chocolate cake (just to help eliminate any allergens) and it turned out quite nice and fudgy. 
The only dairy free frosting I make often is coconut whip (which is delicious on waffles btw). Today I didn't want to make coconut whip, I wanted to go for it, and dive in to a dairy free frosting. 
You could call this primal, or paleo because there is no corn starch or sugar. If you don't like coconut milk, you can sub in almond, or cashew without a doubt. 
I don't mind coconut, and I must say I don't even notice the coconut in the frosting.
If you don't like cashews, you could use.. macadamia nuts, or walnuts, or pecans. Doesn't matter really, I LOVE cashews, as a nut, as a waffle, and as a piece of bread.
They are buttery and soft and have no distinct flavor. 
I think the best part of this frosting is it looks like regular frosting. Not chunky and nutty, it's not like you look at and just know there is something "different" then icing sugar and butter whipped together. You wouldn't know. In fact, there is one lonely cupcake sitting in my counter right now, just waiting for hubby. Do you think he knows? Not a chance. Will he hate it, nope. Do you know how I know? Because he loves me so much that even if it's awful he'll shovel it in. So if this frosting sucks, I wouldn't know. Besides the delicious two I ate, I will just have to wait until Saturday to find out how gross they are.
If you have a mediocre food processor, you may end up with a chunkier textured frosting. Don't fret, it will still taste the same, just not look as fantastic as mine. I had to run my fantastic Kitchen-aid for a couple minutes to get it the texture I wanted.

 Cashew Creme Frosting - Dairy free, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Sugar Free, Primal, Paleo

In a Food Processor:
1 C raw whole cashews 

       (sub macadamia, walnut, almonds, etc)
1/2 C raw chopped blanched almonds
1/4 C raw agave nectar, honey, maple syrup, coconut sap
1/4 C Full Fat Coconut Milk, Cashew milk, almond milk etc.
Puree. Scrape down sides.

Add to processor while spinning:
1/4 C plus 1 T Full fat Coconut Milk, cashew milk, almond milk etc.
1/4 C plus 2 T melted organic coconut oil or clarified butter
1 T real vanilla extract
pinch sea salt

Puree 1-3 minutes scraping down sides until smooth and creamy. 

For a "cream cheese" taste add 1-2 t lemon juice

Once you are happy with the texture, place covered in the refrigerator for 30min to 1 hour. Stir the frosting before use to check for the consistency. If the frosting is too stiff, let sit at room temperature until spreadable. 
 I took mind directly out of the fridge and placed it in my icing bag and frosted my cupcakes immediately. I then places the cupcakes back in the fridge for safe keeping. 

Because there is no starch used in this recipe if the frosting gets warmer then room temperature it will start to melt or run. So best to keep them chilled until eating. 

 I topped my cupcakes with "sprinkles". I don't actually buy sprinkles anymore, as they are corn syrup, high fructose and colors. I get my colored or flavored sugars from an organic spice dealer. 
(I have placed my favorite places to shop in my side bar). Organic sugar, is not processed or bleached and not nearly as bad for you. It is still very high in my Glycemic index which is why it should be eaten in moderation. I also really enjopy how their sugar is flavored with natural sources, cocoa powder, lemon, strawberry, vanilla etc. I have never received a headache from a pinch of flavored sugar on my cupcakes, so I go ahead and indulge.
I like pretending I can eat amazing sugar high cupcakes just like everyone else, except I don't :)

No comments:

Post a Comment