Thursday, July 25, 2013

Scones - Grain free, Dairy free, Gluten free, Paleo

So, I was feeling like a scone. I don't mean that I myself was feeling doughy like a scone, but I wanted a scone. Sometimes at the end of the work day, late at night, I go and think about what I want to eat tomorrow. 
Tomorrow (being Friday) is a day for me and a girlfriend working together and we tend to get hungry. It's always so much easier for me to bring the food when I travel because, well, let's face it I am picky. Also, how the heck does a person who east whole grains and flour going to know what almond flour is?
Luckily, I was in the mood for scones. I had a fabulous recipe book from one of my favorite authors. However the scone recipe was only for sweet and fruit based scones. Nothing savory. Now don't get me wrong. I made a few of those sweet and delicous scones. Hazelnut chocolate chip, orange cranberry, strawberry vanilla almond, and cinnamon raisin. I wanted a savory scone though. One I could throw in with my delicious lunch time salad that I will be packing. 
Ham and cheese scones.. mmm.
Then a sudden sadness hit me as I realized my dear husband is not eating dairy. 
All of a sudden I remembered a fresh square of Goat Cheddar in the fridge waiting for me. 
These scones are dairy free, but we use goat milk as a substitute to dairy without any ill effects. If you can't use goat milk or cheese, feel free to sub in any kind of cheese, cashew cheese, soy cheese, lactose free cheese etc. The cheese is not needed to make these delicious scones into scones. So by all means, go nuts. 
Some people make the mistake that scones are like a bun. No. Scones are a firm crusty Scottish bread that is used at tea time or at coffee break. These are like twice as firm as a baking powder biscuit, but a third as sweet as a muffin traditionally. The outside is hard and crisp. The middle is soft and buttery. 
I have made many grain free scones before. They either needed cheese to hold them together, or they were strictly almond flour and they were soft and crumbly like a biscuit. 
These were by far my favorite. Out of all the different kinds of scones that I made today Only subtle changes were made to the recipe base to accommodate many different flavors. Making them really quite economical.

Ham and Cheese Scones - Grain free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free

In a stand mixer bowl:

2 Cups blanched almond flour
1/4C plus 2 T arrowroot/tapioca flour
1/2 t sea salt
1 t dry mustard
2 t gluten free baking powder
1 C diced cooked natural ham
1 C organic Goat Cheddar **

In a small glass bowl:

1 large organic egg
1/4 C organic whole goat milk/coconut milk/almond milk/cashew milk/ dairy milk
2 T cold pressed olive oil or clarified butter

Mix the dry ingredients in a stand mixer. As mixer is turning pour in wet ingredients. Mix on low until just combined. Dough will be very sticky. 

Spread dough out onto parchment paper. Place a sheet of parchment on top and press with your hands into a circle about 1 inch thick. Cut into 6-8 triangles.

Carefully lift each triangle onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Separate each triangle so they are not touching. bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Let cool for 5 minutes until the crust sets.


**Please see my notes above for dairy free cheese options. I use goat cheese to substitute for dairy without any ill effects.

Let me know if you want the fruity version of these. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment