Friday, January 6, 2012

Who said you cannot have Chicken pot pie!!

 Grain Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Sugar Free, Low Lactose (optional)

I love love love chicken pot pie. My mom never made it growing up. When I ventured out on my own at the sad age of 18 I decided to make it at least every single time I roasted a chicken. I miss the days of good old fashioned Frozen Pie Shells ready to go, processed with refined white flour. Oh the days of convenience.. Well not anymore.
I was thrilled when I was able to reproduce my beloved memory and favorite comfort food using nothing less then pure ingredients that are good for the body and mind. 
I constantly check in over at The Spunky Coconut and I love love to see what concoction she has come up with lately. 
I borrowed her FABULOUS grain free pie crust recipe and turned it into my own dinner.
Now you should know that my brother is a live in roommate and thinks that I am completely and udderly silly for dropping the grain. He just knows now though that everything he is going to get to eat is not going to taste like he thinks or by how it looks. He is not further interested in learning my tricks or ingredients I just watch his face after his first bite as he is my biggest critic. LOW and behold, he took seconds!

Chicken Pot Pie Filling:

1 boneless skinless chicken breast roasted and shredded
1 large or 2 small carrots peeled and diced
2 celery stalks diced
1 med onion diced
1/2 C frozen green peas
2 T coconut oil or clarified melted butter
1/4 cup of heavy 36% cream or plain Greek yogurt
1/2 C chicken broth or vegetable broth**

1 T minced garlic cloves
2 T dry poultry seasoning
1/4 t Herbamere or seasoned salt without msg

Hand full of chopped fresh parsley
ground black pepper

Pre-roast your chicken or use leftovers.
In a saute pan over med heat melt coconut oil. Add carrots for 3 min, celery, onion. Cook until tender but firm. Add green peas and chicken. Heat through. Add garlic, Herbamere, poultry seasoning, pepper and vegetable brother. Bring to a simmer, slowly add cream and stir. Bring to a simmer and reduce until thick. If needed you may use 1 T tapioca powder and 1 T water to thicken. Sprinkle with parsley and pour evenly into 6 ramikan dishes. Let cool until steam dissipates.



*Broth can either be homemade (which is always best) or store bought Organic, Gluten Free Chicken or vegetable broth with reduced sodium. I always keep Organic, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium Vegetable Soup Bouillon Powder in my pantry. For quick use dissolve in water prior to adding to the pot or sprinkle over simmering liquid*



Pie Crust:
(look for * and check the notes at the bottom for tips)

Add to your stand mixer bowl:
3 tbsp flax seed meal OR 1.5 tbsp Chia Seed meal**
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce (home made or gluten free)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Packages of Stevia Powder
1 tbsp raw Coconut Sap or Agave Nectar or Sucralose Sweetener (splenda)
1/4 cup liquified Coconut Oil or Grapeseed oil or melted clarified butter**
Mix until blended.

Add:
1 cup almond meal flour**
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp gluten free baking soda
1 tsp baking powder without cornstarch

Mix again.
Dough will be sticky but not wet.
Place ball between 2 pieces of natural parchment paper. Press down and roll out until 1/2-1/4 inch thick.
Take a round circle cookie cutter or glass slightly larger then your ramikan dishes. Cut out dough into circles.
If you want to be pretty like me cut out heart shapes out of the remaining dough.
Place dough circles gently over the Ramikan dishes filled with filling. Place all of the dishes on a cookie sheet and place in the oven.
350 degrees for 18-25 min. Just until the crust becomes golden and filling bubbles out the sides. 
Invite me over for dinner :)

*Grind Chia or Flax seeds into meal with your coffee grinder. They will be fresh and ready for use. They will keep longer without going rancid if freshly ground.*
*Clarified butter can be made at home by bringing the butter to a simmer, removing from heat and scooping off the white liquid off the top. Place in a glass jar and refrigerate until needed.
Coconut oil needs to be cold pressed, unrefined and organic.*
*Almond meal flour can be found as blanched, natural, coarse or fine. I always use blanched ground almonds from my Bulk Natural Foods Store and simply grind to a finer powder if needed.*



No comments:

Post a Comment