Saturday, March 17, 2012

Cookie Adventure!


This is what happens when you are all alone with your dog for 4 hours on a Saturday morning. LOL cookies!
I knew I was going to make cookies. But I actually had time to do some experimenting. I made my classic Chocolate Chip Cookies and then thought about my beloved husband. He LOVES Oatmeal Cinnamon raisin cookies. I will say that back in the day even my brother preferred raisin to the chocolate.
So I thought how delicious would it be to make Cinnamon Raisin cookies. 


I put them out on a plate and when he came home he tried one. I waited for him to tell me if he liked them and he does! I switched from blanched almond flour to using natural un-roasted ground almonds as a substitute to save on costs. They taste exactly the same. You can use the regular blanched almond flour instead if that suits you best.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free

Mix Dry ingredients together:
1/4 C Coconut flour
3 T Tapioca Flour/Arrowroot /Potato Starch/Corn Starch
1 1/2 C Ground Almonds*
1/2 t sea salt
3/4 t aluminum free baking soda
1 C sucralose/Palm sugar
1/2 C Gluten Free Vanilla Sunrise Cereal
1/2 C quick oats/oat bran
1/2 C Sultana raisins
1 1/4 t cinnamon

Mix wet ingredients together:
1/4 C raw agave nectar/palm syrup
1/2 Grapeseed oil/Coconut oil/Melted butter
2 eggs
2 t Real Vanilla extract

Mix wet into dry as mixer is turning. Scrape into a glass bowl and cover and refrigerate for 15 min. Place into piles of 2T or smaller. Bake on parchment paper pan at 350 degrees for 16 minutes.
Let cool completely before eating in order to set the middle. I always find these cookies firm up and taste so much better the next day.


Then I was thinking about my dad and how he liked Double Chocolate Chip cookies. I have actually never been a fan of these. Probably because all of the ones I have ever had were hard as a rock. I don't like hard cookies. I don't want them to crumble or fall apart but be soft and chewy in the middle as I eat them.
These weren't too bad. My biggest critique liked them. I think I would slightly adjust the ingredients so I am going to write the modified recipe on here just for you. Let me know what you think.

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies - Gluten Free, Grain Free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free

Mix Dry ingredients together:
 1/4 C organic unsweetened Dark Cocoa Powder
2 T Coconut flour
3 T Tapioca Flour/Arrowroot /Potato Starch/Corn Starch
1 C Ground Almonds*
1/2 t sea salt
3/4 c aluminum free baking soda
1 1/3 C sucralose/Palm sugar
2 Squares unsweetened bakers chocolate or 1/4 C
1/2 C unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 C Gluten Free Vanilla Sunrise Cereal

Mix wet ingredients together:
1/4 C plus 2 T Grapeseed oil/Coconut oil/Melted butter
1/4 C Strong Coffee
2 eggs
2 t Real Vanilla extract

Mix wet into dry as mixer is turning. Scrape into a glass bowl and cover and refrigerate for 15 min. Place into piles of 2T or smaller. Bake on parchment paper pan at 350 degrees for 16 minutes.
Let cool completely before eating in order to set the middle. I always find these cookies firm up and taste so much better the next day.


 Then I was thinking about my Mom. She loves Gingersnaps. They were probably my least favorite cookies growing up as they were rock hard and I never cared for the taste. But I actually really enjoyed my gingerbread recipe that I made at Christmas. It was delicious and soft in the middle. The longer it sat the better it tasted.
I used my gingerbread man recipe to make these cookies but I of course adjusted and changed everything that I didn't like.
They have the same firm crust, and get harder as they cool. I used Palm Sugar for the dusting and they came out delicious. Moist and soft in the middle.

Ginger Snaps - Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Sugar Free

In a mixing bowl combine:
2 T flax meal
1/4 t gluten free xanthum gum
1/4 t sea salt
1/2 C plus 2 T palm sugar
2 t ground Cinnamon
1/4 t allspice
1 t ground ginger
pinch nutmeg
2/3 C blanched almond flour
1/3 C coconut flour
1 1/2 T aluminum free baking soda

Mix wet ingredients:
1/2 C Pumpkin Puree (recommended)  or unsweetened apple sauce
 1/2 T apple cider vinegar
2 t Real vanilla extract
1/4 C grapeseed oil/melted butter
2 T molasses

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry as the mixer is turning. Once well blended scrape into a glass mixing bowl and refrigerate for 15 min.


Take out and roll the batter into 1-2 inch balls. (think donut hole size). Roll the balls in palm sugar and work quickly. The faster the batter heats up the quicker the palm sugar begins to melt. Do not substitute a chemical sweetener such as Sucralose for the palm sugar as sweeteners melt upon any moisture.


Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.




Place the cookies on the counter and press down to flatten slightly with a ramikan. They will not grow any bigger than they already are except upwards so they only need as much space as they need. 


Bake them for 30 min at 350 degrees. They will feel soft to the touch but have a crust. Let them cool completely and you will feel them firm and hard like a gingersnap after room temperature. The inside will be so tender and chewy its delicious. These cookies don't quite have the same taste as a traditional snap because they don't have heavy Molasses base. Molasses has sugar in it, the bad sugar. If I had Yacon syrup that would be a great substitute if not, keep the molasses to 2 T. If you are feeling they are not as tasty let them sit for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment